A brief history
Harold Larwood joined Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club in 1924 on a one year contract at 19 years old, however it was two years later in 1926 that he had his first full season – Trent Bridge was to become his cricketing home until his retirement due to injury.
Founded in 1841, Trent Bridge is the world’s third oldest major cricket ground, preceded by Lords and Eden Gardens, Calcutta. Technically, Trent Bridge can claim to have staged inter-county matches before Lords. How? The founder, William Clarke saw the potential of a quaint little meadow next to the River Trent back in 1838 and decided to stage inter-county matches.
Trent Bridge is considered by many players and spectators to be one of the most pleasant in England, the architecture having been kept within the parameters set by the 1886 pavilion.
The first international cricket match at Trent Bridge was held in 1899 and featured England and Australia. The match was held over 1st/2nd/3rd June with the result ending in the match being drawn.
The first five-match rubber in England began with the first Test ever staged at Nottingham. W.G. Grace, playing his last Test was 50yrs 320 days old when the match ended; only Wilfred Rhodes played Test cricket at a greater age, and by coincidence, he was making his debut in Grace’s last match.
In the 19th Century the club reigned supreme! Nottinghamshire won the County Championship seven times, and provided the game with the majority of its professional players during that period. Such famous names as Arthur Shrewsbury and Alfred Shaw figured in five outright Championship wins – including four in succession between 1883 and 1886.